Today's giveaway is courtesy of Random House who is giving away a hardback copy of Animal Wise: The Thoughts And Emotions Of Our Fellow Creatures by Virginia Morell.
About Animal Wise: The Thoughts And Emotions Of Our Fellow Creatures
If you're as much in love with animals as I am, then this book will make you love them even more!
Without falling into the trap of anthropomorphism (believing animals have the same feelings as humans), Animal Wise discusses the emotions and cognitive abilities of animals. Each chapter digs into one scientific study, one animal and one emotional or cognitive ability. With easy to understand wordings, Virginia Morell explains the nature of the study, how it was conducted, the devices used, the results and the most likely interpretations. A fascinating read that will have you turn the pages wanting to find out more about our fellow creatures.
Here are a few examples of what you will discover in Animal Wise:
* Rats laugh. They love to be tickled (even more than petted) and they have a great sense of fun;
* Parrots are able to count and distinguish between colors and materials;
* Elephants have memories;
* Ants teach. They can quickly communicate new insights (such as the way to a new home);
* Parrotlets give each other names;
* Fish feel pain. Some fish can make quick, complex decisions;
* Some dogs have a vocabulary of more than one thousand words.
Animal Wise will give you new insights on the emotional lives of animals and I'm sure you will be citing this to your friends and family. As one of the best animal books of the year, Animal Wise is not to be missed. Let's to hoping this book receives some sequels.
To enter to win, leave a comment telling me why you want to win this book. You can gain extra entries by sharing this giveaway on one or more of your social media (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, StumbleUpon, Tumblr, forum etc) or by following along through Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+ and/or Bloglovin). Six possible entries per person.
Contest is open worldwide and ends April 5th. Good luck!